Discover a New Route to St. Charles
The $63 million rehabilitation of the westbound Interstate 70 Missouri River Bridge (Blanchette Bridge) will close and detour traffic starting November 2012. Additionally overnight and weekend closures will happen this summer at the Earth City Expressway interchange and at the bridge. Please click here for the Overview Map (shown on the left) or click here for the Close Up Map (shown on the right). These maps will highlight alternate routes to help I-70 drivers get around.
The plan is to close the westbound I-70 Blanchette Bridge and shift the lanes to the eastbound bridge starting approximately the first weekend in November, weather permitting. All of the traffic will stay shifted to the eastbound bridge for less than one year. During the construction, three lanes of eastbound and three lanes of westbound I-70 will be using the eastbound bridge.
The Route 370 (Discovery Bridge) and Route 364 (Veterans Memorial Bridge) are the primary alternate routes to use to avoid congestion on I-70 during the construction. Both bridges are located within a few miles of I-70 and provide an easy alternative to get to and from St. Charles and St. Louis counties as well as in and out of the major business and shopping districts in downtown St. Charles and Earth City.
Construction work to prepare for the closure will begin in summer 2012. Lane closures will occur for this work primarily during off peak hours. There will be three weekends this summer with lane closures on I-70, Earth City Expressway and the ramps at that interchange. Crews will be making repairs to the I-70 bridge over Earth City Expressway on these weekends.
Visit www.modot.org/blanchettebridge to view project information and to sign up for email updates. MoDOT reminds motorists to slow down in work zones and avoid distractions to keep yourself and the workers safe.
Blanchette Bridge Project
Driving Directions to Main Street Historic District
- S. Hwy 94 to MO-94 E toward St. Charles; as you travel over Hwy 70, Hwy. 94 turns into First Capitol Drive. First Capitol Drive to 230 South Main Street, which is the Saint Charles Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- N. Hwy 94 to MO-94 turns into Third St.; merge onto N. Third Street/MO-94 W. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. From N. Second Street turn left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 370 West take MO-370W to Exit 7, MO-94/North Third St. Merge onto N. Third Street/MO-94. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. From N. Second Street turn left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 370 East take MO-370E to Exit 7, MO-94/North Third St. Turn right on N. Third St./MO-94. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. Make a left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 70 West take I-70W exit at Fifth St. (Exit 229B) . Right on Fifth Street to Boone's Lick Road, turn right. Left on Main St.
- 70 East take I-70E exit at Fifth St. (Exit 229). Left on Fifth St. to Boone's Lick Road, turn right. Left on Main St.
- 70 East take I-70E exit at First Capitol Dr. (Exit 228). Left on First Capitol Drive to Main St.
- 70 West take I-70W exit to First Capitol Dr. (Exit 228B). Right on First Capitol Drive to Main St.
- 270 to 364 West take the Page Extension across the Veterans Memorial Bridge and exit at Arena Parkway (Exit 14). Turn right and continue past The Family Arena until Arena Parkway dead-ends at Friedens Road/South River Road (approx. two miles). Turn right on South River Road and continue one mile to Main Street, and turn right to enter historic district.
NOTE: On the 364 reference above, consider having visitors continue on South River Road, and thru Fifth Street to Boone's Lick Road, depending upon the status of the South Main (south) construction project.